You're 15, You're Beautiful, and You're MINE

07/01/2010 11:31

I was just wondering , I’m 15 and I live with my father , would I legally without his consent be able to go and live with my grandma , or would I need his permission. - Charlotte 

 What Mary Says...  What Crystal Says...

Dear Charlotte:

What’s going on at home that it’s so bad? Have you tried talking to your dad about what’s going on? He may be heartbroken if you move.

 I’m not sure about the laws in your state, but I would imagine he has to give his consent for you to live with your grandma and you may even have to get legal permission for her to become your legal guardian. I would definitely speak to a school counselor about this issue, or some other trusted adult.                                     












Dear Charlotte:

It depends on where you live. Your email indicates you’re from the U.K., and I believe the laws in England state that people under 16 cannot leave home without parental consent, even if going to another relative. The law relating to 16 and 17 year-olds is not clear, but it appears you might be able to leave home at that time without parental consent. In theory, your dad could fight it then, but a court is unlikely (though not impossible) to order a child of 16 to 17 to return home against their wishes.

If you just can’t wait until your 16, your grandmother could petition the court to allow for the move, but she’d have to prove the move is in your best interests. 

Of course, if you are in danger and/or your life is at risk at home, you need to contact the police immediately. The police will work with social services to protect you.                                 







Search site

© 2009 All rights reserved.

Create a free websiteWebnode